Saturday 7 November 2015

Background to Psalms 73

Asaph is faced with the problem of envy of the Godless.
"Truly God is good to Israel,
    to those whose hearts are pure.
But as for me, I almost lost my footing.
    My feet were slipping, and I was almost gone.
For I envied the proud
    when I saw them prosper despite their wickedness.
They seem to live such painless lives;
    their bodies are so healthy and strong."
David Pawson talks about Psalm 73, here



Side question: Why do bad things happen to good people?
Michael Cohen attempts an answer, here.

What is the difference between a poem exploring this question and an article?
Re-read Psalm 73 and appreciate its poetic genius in moving our emotions.

Quote to help you think about the difference.
Poet Diane Ackerman has been quoted as saying- "Because poets feel what we're afraid to feel, venture where we're reluctant to go, we learn from their journeys without taking the same dramatic risks.  Think of all the lessons to be learned from deep rapture, danger, tumult, romance, intuition.  But it's far too exhausting to live like that on a daily basis, so we ask artists to explore for us."

Attempt to write your own poem about this question.

No comments:

Post a Comment