Saturday 7 November 2015

Background to Psalms 84

How I love your Temple, Lord Almighty!
    How I want to be there!
    I long to be in the Lord's Temple.
With my whole being I sing for joy
    to the living God.
Even the sparrows have built a nest,
    and the swallows have their own home;
they keep their young near your altars,
    Lord Almighty, my king and my God.
How happy are those who live in your Temple,
    always singing praise to you.
How happy are those whose strength comes from you,
    who are eager to make the pilgrimage to Mount Zion.
As they pass through the dry valley of Baca,
    it becomes a place of springs;
    the autumn rain fills it with pools.
They grow stronger as they go;
    they will see the God of gods on Zion.


Hear my prayer, Lord God Almighty.
    Listen, O God of Jacob!
Bless our king, O God,
    the king you have chosen.
One day spent in your Temple
    is better than a thousand anywhere else;
I would rather stand at the gate of the house of my God
    than live in the homes of the wicked.
The Lord is our protector and glorious king,
    blessing us with kindness and honor.
He does not refuse any good thing
    to those who do what is right.
Lord Almighty, how happy are those who trust in you!
This is the last of the "Get your friends to react" challenge. Get your friends to react to psalms 84. :)
Like this one.


1 comment:

  1. This is always true; even though there are times in life when I don't feel like it: "How lovely is your dwelling place,
    O LORD of hosts! My soul longs, yes, faints for the courts of the LORD" (PSM 84 v 1&2 ESV)This reminds me of the encouragement I've received at my church in Wellington to come even though I may be having a bad day, a bad week, though I may be tired or just not feeling like it. To come to a place where I know I will be encouraged and fed from scripture, where I will be encouraged to worship God and where I will be in the midst of his body that he can bless me with.
    Although I know this psalm does only refer to going to a church on Sunday, this is one real example that speaks of my experience in life. As God lives in us by his Spirit perhaps this psalms could link to the words of psalm 42 'My soul thirsts for God, for the living God' (v 2a ESV)
    Meeting God through his word and through fellowship with believers is wonderful, but I love how psalm 42 uses the word 'living' here: Our God is alive; his Spirit lives in us; we have new life in him!

    ReplyDelete